Migrating Database stuck at 0%

My app has been stuck on “Migrating Database 0%” for two months. I think this has kept most everything else stalled. For example, the iCloud back up also stopped when migration started. And because of migration in progress, I can’t edit traces, and I can see in the background that traces are recorded and the app is ‘thinking’, but not processing them.

I’ve kept the App in foreground and kept phone from sleeping, made all sort of iOS updates (including a reinstall), even poked around the phone file system in the chance I could change something (you can’t). This has been consistent thru all the latest app updates in the past two months (last good day was 22sep).

What’s worse, now the traces are not recording properly and Arc is stopping (I get notificaitons) every day, sometimes a few times.

I think two months of traces that haven’t been processed because of the dB migration is now killing the app’s ability to function.

What can I do to break this log jam?

I’ve years of data (and fortunately the monthly JSON and GPX seem to be exporting).

And because this is something more than a typical sport request, I ponied up (again) to be a subscriber (I used to bo, so not sure what happened).

Thoughts?

One more thing: I even bought more space in iCloud in case that was choking things. This was both for the backup to iCloud and to free up space on the phone (now ~40Gb free).

Hi! Sorry to hear the migration is getting stuck. Could you please send me an email from Arc’s “Feedback & Support” button in the Settings tab? The email from there will contain some debug information that might help me track down the source of the problem. Thanks!

Will, do, thank you.

Hi @matt, I encountered the same symptom as cschick, after I updated from iOS12 to iOS14.5 last month (on May 22, 2021). I don’t see any improvement after I updated to iOS14.6 today (June 8, 2021).
To be exact, in my case, the message rarely changes to “MIGRATING DATABASE 0%” but stuck to “MIGRATING DATABASE”. Traces since the update to iOS14 are very partial, with only a very few (or mostly none) of lines (with stops seems mostly recorded). Traces until May 21, 2021 seems kept intact (but “MIGRATING DATABASE” prohibits me to access the background traces, either on map or on timeline panel on TIMELINE view.
I’ve been happily using ArcApp since 2018 autumn on this iPhone X I bought on 2018 summer, until this problem after the iOS14 update.
I’ll send debug information. I would be grateful for any suggestions to solve this problem.

ArcApp is crushing shortly, so I couldn’t write even a short message on the email, but anyway I sent the bug information.

Hi @mickey! Unfortunately what’s most likely happened is that your database has become corrupted. Most likely the old database, not the new one that the data was being migrated to.

That’s not supposed to be possible - the SQLite database system uses change journaling to automatically recover from system failures - but it does still happen on very rare occasions.

Once that’s happened, it would require manual recovery of the database file, to get things fixed. Basically it’s likely impossible to recover from :persevere:

I think the only viable way forward is probably to delete Arc then reinstall it, so that it can restore its data from the iCloud backup (assuming you had Arc’s iCloud backups option turned on in Settings). There will likely be considerable data lost from between when the database became corrupted up until now.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news :disappointed:

I was thinking about this last night, to try to come up of some possible part way solution to salvaging some or more of the data, and it occurred to me that it’d be a really good idea to export data from the timeline view by month (or week, if doing it by month is too unstable).

If you go to the timeline view, tap the options button (the ellipsis button), select Monthly, then navigate to each month, tap options button again, then Export, and Export timeline as JSON.

The JSON exports contain all the data (the GPX exports don’t). Those JSON files can then also be reimported back into the app after a fresh install. So for anything that’s been recorded since the database corruption, that you don’t want to lose, that’ll be a good way to preserve it. When you delete the app, it’ll be all lost, and the restore from iCloud backup isn’t guaranteed (the backup might be incomplete, or perhaps wasn’t turned on).

The approach itself worked, thank you.

• Data before the date of iOS update seems ok (see (#) below for why ‘seems’).
  • Data after the update are partial.

Restoring from iCloud back up seems not so slow as I was afraid after checking other threads about that. After 1 overnight, about 1 month data are restored. I’m not sure the process works at background or not, as I kept ArcApp mostly foreground last night. SETTINGS tells ‘Restore from backup is 16% complete’ next to ‘Become a backer Help keep Arc alive’ message.

(#) I cannot access data on 12 April or before, because “Restricted Access” message appears, despite I’ve been paying. Restoring process itself seems fine, as I can now access to data back to 13 April 2021 (today is 11 June).
I’ll ask about this “Baker Options” problem on a new thread soon.

Thank you for the additional procedure for manual backup.
I cannot test this though, as I already did deletion of the app yesterday. (It’s not a problem for me even if the data after the update are lost. My main purpose is keeping timelines of older days as a kind of diary. )

For future record,

• I think I switched on “iCloud backups” long days ago (maybe).

• I switched on “Automatic daily exports” and “Automatic monthly exports” for both GPX and JSON files recently when I noticed ArcApp is not working after the iOS update.

• I have 50GB iCloud. About half is used, and iCloud says 3.15GB is used as backup (which I guess is ArcApp data). On macOS iCloud Drive, the size of ArcApp folder is small (Backups folder: 600KB, Export folder: 10MB).

• Followings are the situation at my iCloud Drive on my macOS machine.

• Monthly data of JSON files from 2018-08 to 2020-03 are saved with modification date of May 30, 2021. Data from 2020-04 to 2020-08 with modification date of June 3, 2021. No files there for months from 2020-09 to 2021-05.

• Daily data are only from 2021-05-09 to 2021-06-08 (for both JSON and GPX files).

• Backups folder was empty before the deletion of the ArcApp yesterday, but the folder has files now after re-installation of ArcApp yesterday.

• As matt was afraid of, data of some dates (for dates after the iOS update) disappeared (“Empty timeline”) after restoring, for which I remember points and very partial timelines could be seen before ArcApp deletion. The other dates are restored (as partial and with many Data Gap as I saw before the deletion). Most but not all “thinking” data (for dates after the iOS update) are now fixed.

Great to hear @mickey! It sounds like it’s going slightly better than I’d expected. Though any data loss is bad news, but I’d worried that there’d be significantly more lost. And those JSON export files are especially good news, because those can be used later to fill in any gaps left over from the backup restore, if they happen to overlap such a gap.

Hi @Matt, sounds worth to try, thank you for the advice. I’ll try this approach later, within possibly half a month or so, after restoring from iCloud for my 3-years data completes (about 6-months data were now restored and SETTINGS tells 22% complete within these three days).

I guess the ways of backup and restoring are quite nicely organized to fit user’s inclinations. Great work!

• Order of restoring from iCloud backup: recent to older. If user clicks an older date on Calendar, the date seems to be queued with rather high priority and restored earlier.
  • Order of backup of JSON (and GPX): recent to older for Daily data, older to recent for Monthly data.
1 Like