Sometimes I commute using different routes and it would be helpful to add subtle arrows to the line indicating direction of travel. I’m thinking of a few white or transparent chevron style arrows inside the solid line (yellow in this case). I think this would be especially helpful in the individual segments view but it might also be a good addition for the main view.
@trackerminerfs Direction along the path line is a long-standing wish here too, and it’s tracked as BIG-577 (directional context on the map, with the segments view as the first surface). Your ask, and @lmpinto’s and @StuFather’s, are logged on it, with the main map noted alongside the segments view.
Adding my thoughts on this one: I agree this would be good to have! My main issue with it is … how to do it so that it’s both easy to understand and doesn’t become messy/ugly.
Sometimes the timeline views can become quite busy, with a lot going on, and adding arrows to the path lines might make that even worse. That could result in map readability getting worse, even while the goal is to make it better.
But I think that’s something we can shake out in design and testing. It doesn’t make it impossible, it just means that some initial attempts might get thrown out, as “nope, that’s awful. let’s try the next idea”