Extract brief visit crashes

See video

Yeah I’m getting these crashes too.

Weirdly, they’re not showing up obviously in the crash logging, even though sometimes I get them pretty frequently.

Hopefully I’ll find the cause before the next update ships.

Perhaps the cause hasn’t been found yet. I’m also getting frequent crashes with such. Somewhat often I may have some period marked as driving yet there is a few minute stop which is perhaps interpreted as a stop light. Trying to extract then the locations show up but often crashes when selecting.

Yeah I’m still getting the crashes too.

I definitely found and fixed one of the crashes, because it was showing up as the most common crash in the crash reporter, and then after the fix shipped it disappeared.

But there’s clearly still one more crash in there, because a bunch of us are experiencing it, but isn’t showing up clearly in the crash reporter so is proving harder to find.

Hopefully I’ll find it soon! It certainly deserves an award for being both the most annoying and most obvious common crash yet also the hardest to find!

For me at least I can select and edit the number of points

The issue arises only after selecting a point; sometimes I can even go back to the timeline and see the timeline but the moment that I expect the points to be reassigned to a place it crashes

The thing is the extracted place almost always shows up after the crash so I think it’s something with how the timelines are being recalculated after extraction, there’s probably a divide by 0 error somewhere

Yeah I’ve been thinking similar. It happens the same for me too - it crashes a split second after the timeline view reappears. So it’s presumably not really a crash in the Extract Visits view, but a crash that the view causes. Somehow. And a div by zero would certainly be plausible!

Right now the most common crash is … oh wait! A crash on the ExtractViewModel has floated up the list, and it looks promising! I’ll hopefully get a chance to dig into it today. Fingers crossed.

This view certainly has been the weirdest in a long time for mystery crashes. I suspect it’s exacerbated by the interplay / interop between UIKit and SwiftUI. Hopefully soon I’ll be get a chance to port the main timeline view over to SwiftUI, so that the app isn’t constantly switching between UIKit and SwiftUI.

If it helps, I was getting crashes when trying to extract brief visits earlier. A visit to a store was marked multiple times with walking in between. Haven’t noticed or thought about that in particular much, sometimes visits might be just one entry of a place or other times multiple entries with walking. Or sometimes listed as just driving so I need to extract a brief visit.

Crashed happened when there were three possible visits to extract and happened near immediately after selecting the third, trying to reassign all of them.

Perhaps as you notice similar things, if you tried to do such in a way to expand how you use Arc app yourself and assign visits, maybe you might track it down.

Related, not sure how I feel about such visits if I’d prefer just one entry or several with walking in between. Some such entries it seemed there is no delete option to try to merge.

Yeah I’m still getting similar crashes, in similar situations, albeit much more rarely than before. There’s a certain pattern to it, but I haven’t been able to exactly pin down what that pattern is yet.

I suspect what’s going to happen in the end is that I’m going to copy this feature over to the new Arc Timeline Editor app, which is pure SwiftUI code (as is the Extract Brief Visits feature), and that will eliminate the chance of bugs in the communication between old UIKit and new SwiftUI, which I’m fairly sure is the crux of the problem in this case.

I’m hoping to get back to working on Arc Timeline Editor very soon. At the moment I’m working on shipping synchronised updates to Arc Timeline, Arc Mini, and Arc Recorder, to fix some inter-app communication issues that have been messing up the timeline data in some cases. I think I should have those updates ready to ship this weekend (they’re already looking ready to go, I’m just sitting on them for another day, to make sure there’s no sneaky new problems introduced).