Save to Apple Health does not appear

When I scroll to the bottom of an activity (eg cycling) I do not get the option to save workout to apple health. I can see the activities no problem, but that option simply does not appear.

I have double checked my privacy settings in settings > privacy > apple health > arc, and all categories are turned on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi @Arcuseryyz!

Just checking the conditions for when that button will be shown… Ok, found them:

1. Has to be no existing workouts that overlap the item. So if you see a workout already listed in the details view, the button to save the item to Health won’t be there, because saving it would result in overlapping workouts in Health.

2. It has to be a Path/Trip item (meaning it’s not a Visit to a place).

3. Can’t be a Data Gap item. Though I doubt you’re trying to save a Data Gap to Health!

4. Has to be one of the supported activity types that Health allows (walking, running, cycling, skateboarding, inline skating, skiing, snowboarding, horseback).

Let me know if that helps or not :smile:

1 Like

That worked! Took me a while to figure out how to delete an activity from health/activities, but once I did that and force-restarted Arc, the option showed up and it imported perfectly. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Glad to hear :smile:

Aside: This is one reason why I don’t have Arc automatically saving workouts to Health. If it saves something you don’t want, it’s a fiddly and confusing process to find it in the Health app and delete it. And things saved to Health can’t be edited - they can only be deleted.

Interesting - I did not realize that was even an option. I religiously log activities with my Apple Watch, so it’s usually not a problem for me. However this time I logged an activity via Strava’s app–rather than Apple’s activity tracking–which is notoriously unreliable at accurately reporting calories. The data from Arc looked more in line with Apple.

I do want to someday have Arc automatically save some workouts to Health. But it’ll likely be opt-in, on a route by route basis. For example if you regularly take an afternoon walk around the park, you could tell Arc to always automatically save that to Health, but not other random walks.

But before I can do that, I’ll have to make sure Arc can also tidily delete and recreate workouts in Health, so that if you do any editing in Arc, the cleanup will also be reflected in the data in Health.

I’ve been surprised by how seemingly poor Strava’s accuracy is for location data, and also quite clunky for recording workouts with. My guess is Strava is more about importing workouts recorded by other devices, rather than doing it itself :man_shrugging:t2: