Release notes: Arc App v3.10.0

Added hourly weather reports

Each timeline item now shows hourly weather reports on its item details view. These reports are provided by Apple’s WeatherKit service, which provides both current and historical weather data. This means you can look back through your timeline data and find out what the weather conditions were in the past (so long as the timeline item’s date is after the launch of Apple’s WeatherKit service, mid last year).

Migrated to latest Mapbox SDK

This one is largely just a housekeeping task. Mapbox completely rebuilt their maps SDK a couple of years ago, and are now requiring everyone to migrate to the new version. This doesn’t add any new maps features in Arc App, but it did take up a hefty chunk of development time, and as such represents the bulk of the changes in this update.

You might notice some small changes in the appearance of the maps, but otherwise they should continue to function the same as before.

1 Like

Maybe this is a stupid question but how do I see / use weather integration I see how UI changes in timeline view

Edit never mind got it, it only seems to show up for places, not sure if there’s intended behavior

Some charts for temp or precipitation would be great but it’s a nice addition thanks

And F/C toggle would also be helpful but I guess that’s tied to country settings

It’s using a threshold of 30 minutes, so the timeline item has to be at least 30 minutes long before it will fetch weather data for it. I did that because shorter durations would cause the WeatherKit API to error. But I can possibly nudge it down to 20 or even 10 minutes - I’ll experiment with it for the next update.

Yeah there’s a lot of things that could be done with this data! I kept it very simple - just the plain basics - for the first release of the feature, but I think there’s some really fun and useful stuff we could do in future updates.

Yeah that’s tied to your iOS region settings. I’ve avoided adding any unit type overrides in Arc because it would add extra complexity for me to maintain. Arc is already a very complex beast, and there’s only one of me, so I’m cautious about adding things like extra configurability.