No confirmation button

Now and then I encounter a situation when handling unconfirmed items, where the suggestion is indeed correct, but there is no way to confirm the suggestion, see the attached screenshot. How about a confirm button in this situation?

Hi! My assumption is that the app is showing the address “Frankfurt (Main) Hbf” but no actual place because this one doesn’t exist (yet).
If you search for the Hbf Place in the list and select it, you will get a place proposal which you can confirm next time.

1 Like

It is never in the list, I will have to go to search with Google. A lot of extra steps for an assumption that is correct.

Hi @vogon1!

@more is correct - it’s showing the “street address” as the title, instead of a “Place name”. A bit of unfortunately ambiguous UI there. I should really be showing the street address as a subtitle, and setting the title to “Unknown Place” or some such.

A bit more context: The street addresses come from Apple’s lookup service, while place names come from either Mapbox’s database or Google’s database. The latter two can be assigned to visits, but the former cannot.

The reason for this is that street addresses can be all sorts of things, for example “123 Main Street”, when really what you’re looking for is something like “Starbucks” (ie the Starbucks at 123 Main Street).

Sometimes Apple’s service also returns street addresses that aren’t actual addresses, but instead are names of familiar landmarks, like in this case of “Frankfurt (Main) Hbf”. But that’s the exception rather than the norm, so Arc doesn’t allow for using street addresses as “Place names”.

There is an option in the more/ellipsis menu for “Set title to address”, however this doesn’t create a reusable “Place name”, it just creates a one-time title for that single visit. So it’s only useful in cases where there’s no other sensible place name to assign, and it’s not somewhere you want to track as a place with repeated visits.

Yeah, this part is unfortunate. Arc used to use Foursquare’s database, which traditionally was the most complete and most useful, but that database has decayed over the years, and is now no longer good enough. Google’s database is now the most comprehensive, but is far too expensive for a niche app like Arc (like, more than 10 times what the app can reasonably afford). Which leads us to the current not-ideal situation of defaulting to Mapbox’s very cheap (but not very good) database, with the option to search Google Places as a fallback, if a useful result isn’t in Mapbox’s results.

I hope that helps to explain!

1 Like

Yes that helps. Thanks.

1 Like