How to create a new location

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I went to a place where I didn’t stay more than two minutes. Arc did not record this stop but I would like to keep track of it and therefore create it in arc. Could you explain how I should do this?

Set the whole segment as one activity type

Go into segment view; split it I two two activity types with one ending after you left. Use the slider for this and fine adjust with the arrow buttons

Take the first segment and then do another split, set it so that the new first segment ends before the visit, set the new second segment to stationary

Then define a place for the stationary point

Ok. Thanks for your help.
I see the idea. I did it but after a lot of fiddling and I would have a hard time reproducing what I did. In short, it’s complicated!

Any easier way?

Hi @siso!

If the Individual Segments view already shows a “stationary” segment at the right time and place, you can just tap on that and assign a Place to it. But if not, you will have to do segment splitting.

My personal method is similar to @Hutima’s, though I try to avoid setting the whole timeline item to a single type first, because it’s really only the samples/segment around the time I was stationary that I care about. So I’ll go down the list of segments in the Individual Segments view, find the segment that overlaps the time period I want, then I’ll split that segment so that the most appropriate half/part of it is stationary, which will then give me a stationary segment to assign a Place to at roughly the correct location and time.

After assigning a Place to the stationary segment, the processing engine might then automatically clean up the edges of the new Visit, such that it best matches the clustering of data around a single location. So even if you didn’t get the exact right samples changed to stationary, the processing engine might figure out the rest itself. But if the visit was very brief there might not be enough samples for the processing engine to figure that out, so you might have a little bit more cleanup to do after.

There was recent discussion about a possible way to improve this flow, which might be worth a read. The last part of this reply being most relevant.

Thanks @matt for these explanations. Your method is indeed a bit simpler than @Hutima 's.

May I suggest, for a future update, to implement a more intuitive method like a tap on the map? Is it too much to dream?

1 Like

That’s partially what I’m describing in the linked discussion above. The app would automatically identify clusters of samples that might represent a stationary segment (even if the samples aren’t already classified as stationary type), and allow you to tap on the cluster on the map to extract it as a Visit.

Though it would be nice to also be able to arbitrarily tap along the path on the map, to extract segments.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking of.

Anyway, thank you for this amazing app and for all the support you provide.

1 Like