Visualization of direction and chronological order of movement on the map

Very cool experiment! Thanks for this :smile:

My preference from those is 5, because to my eyes it’s the most readable. Arc’s map also has the concept of active/selected path lines, which are currently shown in opaque colour, while inactive/unselected paths are shown in reduced opacity grey. (Can see this in item details views, where the segments for the selected item are active/selected while segments for the other items in the day are inactive/unselected and greyed out). I could see a combination of 5 for actives/selected and 3 for inactive/unselected working well.

1 Like

It does make sense to have different colour gradients/discrete jumps for visualizing speed across different activity types/several categories together, if you don’t want to see them as one unified thing (however it would be interesting to only see the speed/elevation aspect visualized on the map for several activity types without indicating the activity type itself). If there are several different categories that have similar speed properties you might not want to use separate gradients for them if you want to compare them with/see them relative to each other. In the end it does depend on what your goal is, see the speed/elevation relative to that specific activity type, or all activities shown together on the map. Also you might limit the available colour range for the gradient too much this way (I think that’s the main reason for multi-colour gradients) which could lead to differences in data not emphasized well enough visually.

In an ideal scenario you could combine 5 and 3 together, if you can have white outlines with 100% opacity and opaque activity coloured lines without having the same solid white layer behind it. (Maybe with using three different lines for each path, two of them being the solid white outlines on two sides with dynamically changing positioning next to the opaque activity coloured line based on the direction of the current path on the map or some other trick for calculating their placement. :sweat_smile:)

Here is how it looks like if I remove the white layer behind the opaque activity coloured line:

Activity coloured lines with 50% opacity + White outlines with 100% opacity
lines12 a50 w100

Activity coloured lines with 75% opacity + White outlines with 100% opacity
lines13 a75 w100

I guess the latter one is preferable here because of the higher contrast while still being transparent enough. (Maybe you could increase the opacity of the activity coloured lines even more to something like 80% opacity while still preserving enough details in this case.)

Another thing is that of course these images use the current colour scheme, but some adjustments could be useful for better differentiation/contrast/visibility with different opacity levels/outlines from the current one.

Actually, just for comparison here are the other similar combinations with the white layer removed behind the opaque activity coloured lines, but with different opacity levels for the remaining white outlines around:

Activity coloured lines with 50% opacity + White outlines with 50% opacity
lines14 a50 w50

Activity coloured lines with 50% opacity + White outlines with 75% opacity
lines15 a50 w75

Activity coloured lines with 75% opacity + White outlines with 50% opacity
lines16 a75 w50

Activity coloured lines with 75% opacity + White outlines with 75% opacity
lines17 a75 w75