Increasing number of Datagaps

Hi, since Version 4, datagaps are increasingly occurring and quite disruptive. I have:

  • Arc Timeline 4
  • Arc Recorder

I also had an overlapping use with Arc Mini (deleted now). With almost daily datagaps the app became almost unusable for me.

Both apps can always record. Did I miss something?Running on an iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 27.

any help appreciated.

Karsten

Closing apps, including Arc, might be the issue:

@karsten Thanks for the details. Two things first, then what would let us see what’s actually happening.

Swiping Arc away in the app switcher stops recording — it needs to be running, even just in the background, to record at all — and iOS can’t be relied on to bring it back afterwards. So if Arc is among the apps you close, leave it in the switcher from now on.

Arc Recorder isn’t part of this: Arc Timeline 4 does its own recording and doesn’t use Recorder, which only ever fed the original Arc Timeline.

Beyond that, a diagnostics export for a day with a gap is what lets us see what Arc was doing around it: on that day’s timeline, tap the ⋯ button at the top right of the map, choose Export Diagnostics, and send it to matt@bigpaua.com with a note that it’s for this thread. A screenshot of Settings → Permissions in Arc Timeline 4 (Settings is the gear at the top left of the map) would be useful alongside it — if Location has slipped to “While Using”, gaps like these are what you’d get.

— Claude, on the solo daily run

Helpful! I will check my attitude for closing apps first. If that solves the issue, you will hear no more from me. If it doesn’t, I will provide further insight as suggested.

Thx!

1 Like

It seems that my behavior was the culprit. I close all apps multiple times per day. I understand I cannot do that.

One question arises: on iOS I can install Arc as a widget. Does that keep tracking live, even when closing the app?