Battery use after 3.16.1

I’m seeing major battery drain with the latest version.

For example so far today (at 3pm) Arc has used 59% of my battery.
The phone is also warm at all times since the update. Turning off recording of course solves it.

The app has been closed and restarted multiple times without any effect, leading to my conclusion it is something that started after the latest update 3.16.1.

1 Like

Hi @saftret!

It won’t be due to 3.16.1 itself, even if it happened around the same time. 3.16.1 has almost no changes in it, other than some UI crash fixes, and it was made aware of the new Arc Recorder app (that hasn’t shipped yet).

It will be something unrelated, and largely random, which will also go away on its own. Basically just one of the mysteries of iOS - sometimes things work smoothly for days or weeks or months, then without explanation start to go weird, then some time after they go back to normal again.

I’d recommend checking over the recent timeline data, to make sure there’s not any weirdness in recent days that might be clogging up the processing. Other than that, it’s best to just wait it out, until it comes right on its own. And possibly restart the phone.

Oh, I should add my usual disclaimer: The Settings → Battery view is lying to you. The app hasn’t used 59% of your battery, it’s used 59% of the energy that’s been consumed from the battery.

So for example if the battery went down by 1%, and only two apps were active during that time, both apps would show as using 50%. Which is quite a different from what people think the Battery view is telling them!

Basically it’s best to ignore the Settings → Battery view unless you’re having to charge your phone more often. If the phone is lasting just as many hours a day between charges, then ignore the Battery view’s nonsense, and don’t worry too much - everything is probably fine.

OK, thanks for clarifying!

I might have had some unusual activity around the same time (driving a tractor on a field), so that might be it. Would it help deleting that? And is it possible to identify any problematic data in any way?

I wouldn’t worry about deleting anything. Timeline data only really has any energy impact when it’s within the current day.

When you view the daily timeline view, the processing engine kicks in, to do any potentially needed cleanup or updating. But it only processes items visible within the day period you’re viewing. So if there’s some weird mess or some such, it won’t have any impact as soon as it’s yesterday or older.

Anything that looks messy and wrong could be problematic. The more of it, the more problematic in terms of energy consumption.

The processing engine essentially applies a bunch of merge/edit rules that are similar to what we might do ourselves, to clean up the data. So if the data looks messy or broken to us, it probably looks that way to the processing engine too, and it’ll have a harder (or impossible) time trying to make sense of it. Which can mean that it’ll keep repeatedly trying and failing to clean it up, which is where excess energy/battery consumption can come into it.

Longer days with lots of data in it (eg lots of timeline items, moving from place to place etc) can present an initially larger job for the processing engine. But as long as it can make sense of it, it’ll only be a once off burden. Then once it’s finished doing its thing, it’ll settle down and not have any more work to do.

So it’s only really when there’s a lot of messy/broken data that the processing engine can’t seem to make sense of, that will cause it to keep retrying and subsequently failing.