Arc Recorder does not follow Arc Timeline's "Status Bar Location Indicator" setting

Arc Timeline has a setting called ‘Status Bar Location Indicator’, but the Arc Recorder displays an ‘annoying indicator’ regardless of this setting.

Hi @ikuhiromorita!

Arc Recorder uses the rebuilt LocoKit2 recording engine, which is a rewrite of Arc’s core recording functionalities using the most modern/recent technologies and techniques, to get rid of a decade of cruft and keep things maintainable and working well.

But an unfortunate part of that process was the discovery that Apple no longer offer a way to turn off the status bar / Dynamic Island location indicator in their new location APIs. I think the implicit message they’re sending is “we’re not going to continue letting you do that”.

I think Apple never wanted to allow apps to do that in the first place, and for their new APIs they’re taking it away completely.

But that indicator is incredibly annoying! So I’m considering mixing in some of Apple’s older APIs into LocoKit2, to get rid of the indicator for as long as we can. It would still mean worse energy efficiency / battery life though, due to that sneaky (and frankly weird) change Apple slipped in to one of the iOS 16 updates.

Hi Matt

Thank you for your answer.
I understand the situation, and will be patient with that new indicator !

1 Like