App storage on iPhone 12 very large

Isn’t that an indicator of the iPhone automatically off-loading the local versions of the backup files (probably because of the storage issues) while having more files only available in the iCloud? (So when you look into the folder you see many files with the cloud button to download them to the device because they aren’t available offline.)

By the way I think you forgot to add the version change notes for 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 to the splash screen that comes up on the first launch after the update. It comes up again after the update, but only contains 3.7.0 and 3.8.0 version changes.

You’d think, but it’s the wrong way around! For that to make sense it should say 690 MB (32 MB on disk). So what it actually means, I have no idea :joy:

Ugh. Yeah. I really need to make that What’s New modal check to see if there’s actually any release notes for the new version or not. The 3.8.2 update doesn’t contain enough to justify showing that modal, but the modal pops up anyway, because new version number. Sigh. The one notable change is mentioned in the App Store’s release notes though: “Arc now manually cleans up old temp files instead of waiting for iOS to do it, to avoid the app taking up excess space on some people’s phones.”

1 Like

Hey Matt,
Whatever you did under the hood seems to have worked!!

Thanks!

1 Like

Phew! Glad to hear :smile:

Hi Matt and all,
I have a similar problem, but with less storage ppsibilities on my iPhone 14 pro max (128Gb).

the point is:
I purchased Arc subscription, there’s been time I have not been using it, but years ago I have been using it all the time.

I never Uninstalled it. Now, I don’t see any map, any result, nothing, and the App is taking all the space in my iPhone. so far: 13Gb. but was 8gb yesterday, I just erased many files/pictures to have more free space and now… 13gb. the same behavior; Arc App doesn’t show me nothing (no maps, no history) and is taking all the space.

What should I do? I don’t want to Uninstall, because I am afraid to loose my historical data. But I can’t be without any space in the iPhone all the time…

help please

Hi @PaulCa!

I recommend first making sure you’ve got a complete backup on iCloud Drive. You can see your backup progress in Arc’s Settings tab → Backup, Import & Export → iCloud Drive Backups. It will say when the last backup completed, and if it has completed within the last few days (or whenever you last had useful data that you don’t want to lose), then you’re good to go.

Once you’ve got that backup, it’s safe to delete the app then reinstall, and restore from backup.

Hi Matt,

As you can see, backup is indicated: First Backup incomplete. no options to do nothing.
My standard iCloud backup has been correctly done few hours ago.

What do I do?
I can’t continue like that… ARC App is fulling all the space of my iPhone whatever I do. I don’t want to lose my historical data on my ARC app, but I can’t continue like this. help please. It’s not posible to see my user directly and see what is happening?

thanks

Arc App does not store any of your data on remote servers, it is all only on your phone. I have no access to your data, to ensure privacy and security of your data.

To help the first backup complete faster, plug your phone into power, turn off screen auto lock in your phone’s Settings → Display & Brightness, and leave Arc in the foreground with the screen unlocked. That will allow Arc to run the backup task at full speed without interruption until it completes.

Hi, I will do it again but I think it’s not going to work: reason is I had my iPhone plugged and connected 2 nights ago, 10 hours all the night and… backup didn’t work. So, what can I do? I hace enough space in icloud storage (2TB) but my iPhone as explained is mainly blocked because of ARCA taking all the space.

If if erase other apps of erase videos… for instance I erase 3Gb. like 30’ later Arc took all this space.

Please Matt… I need your help :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Hi Matt,
I attach 2 pics so you can see:

the current storage of Arc App (it started in 7Gb… I free some space and now… you see.)

and as well, the icloud backup (done yesterday, during the night, during 8h, with the iPhone plugged). +14Gb!!!

what should I do?

I can’t even open some apps now… or take a pic.

But if I erase the ARC App I understand I will lose years of data…

and other pic:

and in the meanwhile…

Arc App is not working, less the steps, and Kcal, I don’t see nothing… Map doesn’t show nothing, no history… nothing at all

Matt, I really need you as the option to unsinstall the app and lose everything :pensive::pensive: seems the only option…

To ensure you don’t lose data, ensure you have an up to date backup in iCloud Drive. You can also check to see whether the backup is nearly or mostly complete by looking in the “LocomotionSample” folder in the Arc App Backups folder on iCloud Drive. There should be one file there for each week of the year that you have recorded data. If all those files are present, then you’re good to go and can delete and reinstall. If some files are missing, you can still restore from a partial backup, if necessary.

Hi Matt. finally it seems I have lost everything.

I could continue “without” using my phone. I followed the steps you indicated, I even did another bigger iCloud backup.

When “importing” backup… it spend really a lot (21,06Gb on iCloud for Arc App).

but: nothing. the App is like I started today.

Any recommendations about what to do? or I should think it’s over? :frowning:

I think it’s best you start a new discussion, rather than continuing this one on a different topic. Tap the “New Topic” button and describe the steps you’ve taken so far, then we can work through it there.

Don’t worry, your data won’t be lost. We’ll be able to get most or all of it back. We’ll just have to work through what’s going on and deal with it step by step, which is best done in a new discussion.

I’ll lock this discussion now, to close it off, given the previous person’s issue has been resolved. Looking forward to following up in the new thread. Thanks!